Friday, October 13, 2017
We'd like to remind you about some of the initiatives we have at CCI to support positive mental health.
- Our school social worker is available 4 days per week. Visit the guidance department to connect with the social worker or speak to any staff member who will help.
- We have several community agencies who have partnered with CCI to provide extra mental health support to students every day of the week.
- We offer free, hot meals to any students who don't have a lunch – see the cart in the cafeteria
- Mrs. Shand, in room 103, is available to students who need support. You can also connect with a Guidance Counsellor or Special Education teacher any time during the school day for help.
- Pay attention to announcements as we have several student support groups running throughout the year, often for 6 to 8 weeks at a time
- Eighteen students and several staff members received certification in Mental Health 1st Aid training this year because we know that friends go to friends for help.
- Our Students Advocating Non-Violence Everywhere (otherwise known as SANE) hosted an awareness raising event, involving students from all grades, which provided information to help us understand the needs of our students.
- A couple of students have stepped up to work on additional ideas such as offering yoga, nutrition, mindfulness and other wellness sessions throughout the year.
- Finally, you may have noticed our Wellness dogs roaming the halls on Wednesdays. These dogs are here to help bring smiles and comfort to students throughout the school.